I never liked school. In fact, I hated high school so much that I was adamant that I would never go to University. The structure of the high school classes, the disdained looks from teachers for any student who exhibited free thought, the celebration of “smart” students and the demoralization of bad was enough to cement my dislike of the education process. When I look back on high school I was an average student who had the potential to do very well but chose not too. I was the kid with the attitude. The only class that I did extremely well in was Art class. Some may laugh and ask “who doesn't do well in Art class?” Well, some didn't do so well, but everyone passed. When I examine my love for Art class I reflect on my ability to have free thought. I decided what I wanted to paint, no one told me. I loved the satisfaction of watching my seascape or landscape develop every week. I would go to art class even when I didn't have to because I enjoyed watching my creation develop into a piece of art. I would use the techniques I learned from each painting and apply these to my next creation. I experienced such pride when people looked at my paintings with admiration (usually my parents) and refer to me as someone with talent.
In my first workshop of the Lifelong Learning Processes I found myself intrigued by the topic of “credentials.” I couldn’t wait to investigate this topic and quickly began reading one of our required readings Shop Class as Soulcraft by Matthew B. Crawford. When I began to read the book I couldn’t help but think of my high school days and my enjoyment of Art class and my dislike of conventional classroom time. The Art class taught me to put effort, knowledge and skill into my creations and in my opinion this had value beyond an assessment grade. It was the experience and the sense of achievement that was more important to me. As long as I was pleased with my creation I was happy. The assessment grade was second to what I had created. With this in mind my thoughts of the importance of credentials expanded to other areas in life where so much emphasis is placed on credentials.
I have worked in the banking and tourism industry as well as the provincial government. In looking at my experience in each industry, in my opinion, credentials were and are revered. Early in my working career I witnessed a company hire management trainees fresh from university with no practical experience. I watched an employee with 15 years experience train each of these new hires. Just as a mother nurtures and develops her children this employee trained each employee and sent them off to work in management positions. I remember questioning the 15-year employee (who happened to be a women) why she did not apply for the management trainee jobs? She replied she did but was told she could not get the job because she did not have a university degree. This always puzzled me because the company entrusted this person to train the management trainees but would not allow her to become one because she did not have the credentials. In my 30 years of working this has been my experience. Talented hard working individuals who exhibited exceptional skill sets were overlooked because it was felt they did not have the credentials. This is what prompted me to return to school. Not because I enjoyed it but because if I wanted to move up the corporate ladder. I had to give in to the mainstream thought that credentials were everything. I too had to give into the production of credentials rather than the development of practical knowledge. (Crawford 2009)
When I attended University I was fortunate to be involved with a number of community research projects where applied learning was the primary focus. This style of learning produced a sense of pride and accomplishment. It helped me to develop and promote thought and suggestions to problems I wanted to pursue and encouraged me to think of ways in which to approach these problems. (Rizzo, 1997) As in my high school Art class the experience of accomplishment / outcome was more important to me than the grade or credential. I was able to apply practical knowledge to problem solving. As a result, I was pleasantly surprised by my university experience. The end result was that I obtained the credential but I did so in a way that allowed me to apply practical knowledge to problem solving. As well, it provided me with acknowledgement, one of the most fundamental of identity needs. (Bracher, 2006)
There are many definitions of a Knowledge based economy. One definition explains “a knowledge-based economy relies on the use of ideas rather than physical abilities…It is an economy in which knowledge is created, acquired, transmitted, and used more effectively by individuals, companies, and communities to promote economic and social development.” (Vu, 2010) In terms of this definition I would be part of this knowledge-based economy. I understand credentials are important for this economy, as this is a means of measurement to ones ability. (In Dictionary.com) In contrast, to the industrial based economy one can look at the production of a product by an individual to determine if the product is good. Therefore, I accept that credentials serve their purpose. However, I cannot help but wonder with so much emphasis being placed on credentials how many extremely talented people with exceptional knowledge and skill are not recognized and promoted within this knowledge based community as in my opinion practical learning is not promoted.
References
Crawford, Matthew B. (2009). Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into The Value of Work. New York: Penguin Books.
Rizzo, Judith R. (1997) Performance Standards Applied Learning: What is Applied Learning?.
Retrieved from: http://schools.nyc.gov/offices/teachlearn/documents/standards/applied/preface/8whatis.html
John Vu (2010, November 7). By definition a knowledge based economy relies…[web log comment]. Retrieved from
http://www.hualong-info.com/Blog/JohnVu/2010/November/20101107-06.en.html
Credential. (n.d.). In Dictionary.com. retrieved from (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/credential
Like you, I had some very negative experiences in school. I had to come to terms with this when I became a Teacher. It makes me happy to hear that the Art room was your safe haven. I like to think my room is a creative and respectful place for my students. I have been told over the years, by parents or students that it was the only bright spot in some student’s day. That does not mean that there are not rules or that you can do whatever you want and be disrespectful. The Art room is a place when your individuality should shine. I am not trying to tell students what to think, but how to think. Art helps them connect to their voice and values their opinions.
ReplyDeleteOver the years, in various occupations I have supervised students and adult with university degrees but no “common sense” or problem solving skills. When I used to interview people for the Boys and Girls Club I didn’t care if they had a degree. I tried to mentally place that person with the kids and look for personal suitability. I wanted people who had interests, hobbies to sports they could share with the children. I was looking for maturity and passion. You can not get that out of a book or classroom.
When I taught high school I saw parents steering their children away from the trades and streaming them into university. Lots of students were unhappy and unmotivated by this decision. They will have to spend a lifetime in unfulfilling work possibility until they read Matthew Crawford’s book.
Hi Dina,
ReplyDeleteI as well was delighted when my high school days ended, and my life in the real world commenced. Ironically, I’m now teaching at the same school I attended from grades 7-12. You were very fortunate to have a teacher that recognized your talents and your abilities. One thing I have learned over my 26 years of teaching is that how a student performs in high school doesn’t necessarily determine what they will do when they leave school. My son for example disliked high school. He was involved in the social part of school, was involved in all extra-curricular activities, but academically he just got by. He had a math teacher that informed him he wouldn’t go anywhere after high school because he struggled in math class. I’m proud to say that he is in his first year university, has two jobs and his lowest mark is 76%. He loves university (I don’t even have to wake him up in the morning). In university he feels that he can express himself, his ideas and is encouraged to do so. In high school he didn’t buy into sitting quietly in class, listening, copying notes and writing tests. He is now a much happier individual and plans to continue on to law school after. I’ve taught many students over the years that didn’t do well in school but once they graduated they went on to wonderful things. I love hearing their stories when they return to visit me years later.
Marilyn
Hi Dina, you pulled me in with your story, i like your reflections of how things were years ago and likely still exist in some respects today. Perhaps school is so relatable to all folks because its something we all experienced during our formative years. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a child who didn't thoroughly love art class, yet for some reason most teachers think its no big deal for a child to excel in art. My own experience was, i could create something of my own then, Mrs Coleman, the art teacher, would say, "yes that it", and that would make me feel good, but when she said, "class look what Francy did, great job, she used her imagination "...it was like a mini Oscar! Praise I seldom got in the regular classroom. You're quite right, the classes then were very focused on celebrating the 'smart kids".As a student i was always 'middle of the pack', I could never memorize for tests, i had to understand something and write it in my own words, i remember being in the lunch room in high school with some of my smart friends who could recite paragraphs, they would pride themselves on regurgitating the entire story of WW2, but if i asked, "I wonder why Canada sent so many soldiers?", they were quick to say" thats Not in our Notes!". By learning to understand something gives you skills to figure things out. How truly crazy it is that organizations have become some dependent on credentials, so much so, that they would overlook someone with experience, skill and professionalism, such as the bank employee, for a brand new employee lacking in above skills. My hope is the workforce and school system is changing.
ReplyDeletefrancy
Maybe the point of the school system is to teach us how to obey our superiors and just do what we are told. If we conform to that at an early enough age, we might be better employees. Keep our head down, shut our mouth, and do what we are told.
ReplyDeleteOh yes, it is now 2012 and we life in the great free nation of Canada. Using evidence based practices, we now know that this type of dictatorship isn't the best approach of educating and inspiring young minds. So why does this still go on?
Dina, your educational experiences sounds a lot like mine. But what is funny is that I always believed that these experiences were "normal". Maybe we all need therapy. We really need to break this cycle of teaching the way we were taught.
It is also very sad that "experience and know how" is overlooked in the work place. More and more emphasis is put on credentials. Like everything else, there needs to be a balance. Dina, you did a great job in your blog bringing this issue to light. I really hope you get the credentials you need to rise to the top so you can get into a position to make the right changes.