My morning
ritual consists of a cup of coffee and watching CBC News. During the commercials I often switch to watch CNN. One morning this week each news channel
reported stories dealing with education.
CNN (2012, Feb. 7) reported on a school in North Carolina where they had
adopted a “no fail” policy for students from grades 3 to 8. If students wrote a test and failed they were
given an “I” for incomplete then given an opportunity to re-write the test. The theory behind the “no fail” policy was
that the students would be given the opportunity to master the material the teachers
taught them. The second story reported
from CBC was about a student in Newfoundland who was removed from the class room
by his teacher and sprayed with air freshener because he smelled of fish. (Canadian
Broadcasting Corporation [CBC], 2012) http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/story/2012/02/06/nl-student-teacher-febreze-206.html
In
class professor Donovan discussed the book Situated Learning Legitimate
Peripheral Participant by Jean Lave and Etienne Wenger (1991). I learned how Communities of Practice can
sometimes overlap boundaries and how we may use brokering or cultural sharing between
communities of practice to gain a better understanding of each other. Lave and Wanger (1991) define a community of
practice as a
Set of relations among persons, activity, and work,
over time and in relation with other tangential and overlapping communities of
practice. A community of practice is an intrinsic condition for the existence
of knowledge, not least because it provides the interpretive support necessary
for making sense of its heritage. (page 98)
After
our class discussion I began thinking of the news stories regarding the education
system and the different communities of practice within these stories. I thought about the first story reported by CNN,
which was the introduction of the “no fail” policy. At first I thought the idea
a bit crazy. But then I started thinking about it in terms of my son who works
as an apprentice electrician. If he makes
a mistake his boss shows him his error then shows him how to complete the task
correctly. His boss does not tell him
“sorry, you failed. You didn’t do it
right so you can’t continue.” His boss
gives him an opportunity to do the task again so he can master the material. Is
this teaching process within my son’s community of practice the same as
retesting a student if they fail a test?
There is part of me that thinks yes. My thoughts were “what a great idea”
give the student an opportunity to master the material. However, my thoughts are from my own community
of practice as a parent who does not want to see a child fail. The introduction
of such a policy may have long standing implications for the students and the
teaching community. For example, what happens to the students once they get to
grade 9 and they can only write a test once, will the students know how to
fail? I thought of the educators within my University cohort and wondered what
they would think of the no fail policy.
In
the second news report from CBC a teacher in Newfoundland made the student
leave the classroom and stand out in the hallway because he smelled of
fish. After leaving the student in the
hallway for one class period the teacher sprayed the student with air freshener
attempting to remove the smell of fish.
As in the first story there are several communities of practice that
overlap. These communities include students, parents, teachers and administrators. From our discussions in class it is my
understanding that in each community of practice there is a peripheral boundary.
There are also boundary objects that can be projected into the communities of
practice from an outside source that may or may not elicit a
response. For example, in the story about
the student who was sprayed with air freshener the first boundary overlapping
was the student world overlapping with the parent world (child telling his
parents), second the parental world overlapping with the teachers world. The mother reacted immediately by demanding
an apology from the teacher; however, the teacher refused to apologize. As a result, the mother went to the school
board and media demanding the teacher be fired. Therefore, there was a third
overlapping of teacher and the administration community of practice.
Prior
to our discussion in class I did not understand the dynamics and complexities involved
with communities of practice. I also understand I have a lot to learn. I read the book Situate Learning Legitimate
Peripheral Participant but felt after our discussion in class that I hadn’t
read it at all. My assessment of the book at first was more one dimensional and
I thought of it in terms of my son, the apprentice, and his community of
practice.
Finally,
for me the CBC news story about the teacher spraying the student is a good example
of a community of practice overlapping or colliding. As a parent, I understand why the mother would
be upset with the teacher for spraying her son.
However, it is harder for me to understand what took place in the
classroom because I am not part of the teacher’s community of practice. A
teacher looking at this story may feel more compassion and understanding
because he/she belongs to this community and understands the day to day practice
of the community. Although my insight
may be simplistic in its explanation of communities of practice, it is insight
I never had.
References
Lave, J., Wenger, E. (1991). SITUATED
LEARNING LEGITIMATE PERIPHERAL PARTICIPATION: Cambridge, New York, NY, Cambridge University Press.
Canadian
Broadcasting Corporation. (2012, Feb. 7). Fishing smelling student sprayed down
by teacher. CBC, para 1-10. Retrieved
from http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/story/2012/02/06/nl-student-teacher-febreze-206.html
Hi Dina,
ReplyDeleteCheck out this interesting video on You Tube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFcDGpL4U
You make so many interesting points in your blog.
Thanks
Marilyn