Saturday, 18 February 2012

Identity and Learning


As I read through the book Radical Pedagogy Identity, Generativity, and Social Transformation, I can’t help but conduct some soul searching with regards to my life choices.  The book is very interesting and I find myself analysing my family members, my children, my friends, the list is endless.  I feel like my brain has been jump started, maybe even high jacked, the problem is my thoughts are in so many different directions that I can’t seem to focus on one thought.  However, I found the following thought cited in  Bracker’s book extremely interesting.  James Gilligan states “People will sacrifice anything to prevent the death and disintegration of their individual or group identity “ (as cited in Bracker, 2006 P. 3)  What a powerful statement…..people will sacrifice anything?   Really?

A few years ago I was hired by the Workers Compensation Board (WCB) to adjudicate claims related to Chronic Pain benefits.  This was a challenging job given the Regulations and guidelines but it was challenging because the client needs were unique.  The definition of chronic pain as defined by the WCB Act and Regulations is somewhat different than how the medical community would define Chronic Pain. According to the WCB Regulations:  

"chronic pain" means pain
(i) continuing beyond the normal recovery time for the type of personal injury that precipitated, triggered or otherwise predated the pain; or
(ii) disproportionate to the type of personal injury that precipitated, triggered or otherwise predated the pain,
and includes chronic pain syndrome, fibromyalgia, myofascial pain syndrome, and all other like or related conditions, but does not include pain supported by significant, objective, physical findings at the site of the injury which indicate that the injury has not healed;

In the simplest of explanations chronic pain is pain that is experienced when there is no objective, physical finding to explain the pain.  For example, a person sustains an injury, the injury heals, yet they continue to experience debilitating pain to the point that a person’s daily activities of living are affected and, in some cases, they can no longer work or enjoy life.

Many of the clients I dealt with had not worked for many years.  In most cases, clients at this stage would identify themselves as “broken” and see themselves as never being able to return to work or have any kind of quality of life. It has been my experience, that some clients became so entrenched in a lifestyle of “I can’t” that they would seek out any form of feedback that would enforce “I can’t.” For example, if a client saw a doctor and the doctor recommended the client return to work, the client often would seek a second opinion.  If the second opinion was given and it was the same, the client could return to work, the client would seek a third opinion.  Very often, medical opinions would be sought until a doctor was willing to say that the client was not capable of returning to work.  The client would only endorse the doctor who stated he/she could not return to work. No matter the credentials of the other doctors, who stated the client could return to work, the client would only believe that one doctor who would enforce their identity of being “broken” and would refer to the other doctors as “quacks” or “paid off by WCB.

Some clients became so entranced with this “broken” identity that it was difficult to get them to participate in rehabilitation.  Programs were introduced by WCB to assist clients in improving their quality of life by teaching the client how to live with pain.  Clients would resist participation in these programs.  Bracker states…  “That learning, like all other behaviour, is motivated by the effort to maintain and enhance identity means, first, that for learning to occur, either the process or the anticipated result of learning must provide support for identity in some way.”  (Bracher, 2006 P.5) For me, this statement supports why attempts to provide programs to clients living with chronic pain were not well received as their identity was interfering with their ability to learn. Even if the goal of the program was to improve quality of life, the client was not open to these programs because it did not support their identity.

In referring back to James Gilligan statement cited in Bracker’s book “People will sacrifice anything to prevent the death and disintegration of their individual or group identity “(as cited in Bracker, 2006 P. 3) I would have to state, in this circumstance, I have witnessed people willing to give up the possibility of a better quality of life because it threatened their identity of being broken. In retrospect I wish I would have had this insight when I was dealing with these clients as I may have had a better understanding of their challenges.    

References

Bracher, M. (2006). Radical Pedagogy: Identity, Generativity, and Social Transformation. New York, NY: Palgrave MacMillian

Workers’ Compensation Board, Workers Compensation Act. (2004). Chronic Pain Regulations: Retrieved from http://www.gov.ns.ca/just/regulations/regs/wocchron.htm

2 comments:

  1. I find it fascinating that this course is giving us the opportunity to examine our lives in a different context. Whether is using the books we were assigned, class discussions or our blogs as templates. Socrates said, “The unexamined life is not worth living.” http://bystander.homestead.com/unexamined.html

    You talked about your work adjudicating chronic pain claims for the Workers Compensation Board and tied it into Bracker’s theories about identity. His book Radical Pedagogy Identity, Generativity and Social Transformation
    http://us.macmillan.com/authordetails.aspx?authorname=markbracher
    has been making me rethink my experiences and interactions with people as well.

    I wonder if years of chronic pain have made people complacent, failure avoiders or simply tired of living. After my back injury, I spent many years not being able to fully participate in life. The pain led to a weight gain and the weight gain resulted in more pain. I understand that part of the equation.

    I don’t understand why people would refuse to participate in their recuperation. That part of your blog intrigued me. One would think that any solution to a pain free or manageable painful lifestyle would be worth exploring. I agree with you that Backer’s research on identity sheds a lot of light on this behavior.

    Your blog reminded me of a story I heard year ago, it may be a myth, but it was about an elephant. When an elephant is tied up when it is young and is unsuccessful in escaping they stop trying after a few attempts. Later on in life, when they are strong enough to pull away from most types of ropes they don’t try because they still believe they can’t get away. This seems to me to be similar to the thinking you describe. People believe they are powerless to change their lives, develop defeatist thinking that reinforces their belief, this becomes their identity. The process you were asking them to engage in threated their belief in themselves as victims of debilitating pain and since they don’t try to change it, it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. The human mind can be a powerful or self destructive device!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dina
    As an ER nurse I have frequently been involved in the care of individuals who have been diagnosed with chronic pain. I agree that many of these individuals have this diagnosis at a significant part of their identity. Chronic pain patients have often experienced an injury or disease process which transforms their identity. Imagine a healthy middle aged adult who suffers a herniated disc, now something as simple as a sneeze is frightening for this individual
    Each individual’s response to pain is unique. I admit, at times I would feel frustrated when dealing with patients with chronic pain. Some of these individuals seemed to be fixated on the diagnosis and want to talk about nothing else but their pain. A colleague of mine suffered an injury which caused her to be removed from the workforce for almost 12 months. Over the period of 1 year, her identity was transformed. This co worker was constantly seeking recognition as an injured person; she spoke of her pain and injury constantly, started taking prescription pain medication and entered therapy at a pain clinic. In the community of the pain clinic, I believe she found the recognition she desired. The acquaintances from the pain clinic were becoming her close friends. Once she was medically cleared to return to work, she sought referral after referral to oppose her return to the workforce.
    As you mentioned, Brachers thoughts on identity definitely provide insight regarding the challenges many of these individuals are facing.
    Sheri

    ReplyDelete